web analytics

Friday, June 10, 2016

The Submariner's Wife: (A Response to the Work of Sinai Vessel)

 "'Cause If I said that I could swim, I'd be a liar."

 Illuminated shards of shattered bottles on the beach;
 Glass and ash collect and stretch in tides with tempered reach.
 Toes retreat, and needle through their cautious thread lagoons,
 Choked with chicken wire and melting tires in the sun.

 The rocks cry out the truth to which my dull heart has grown numb
 Crusading words map traps, unfurl like weapons from my tongue.
 He sculpts the writhing clay as I collapse into his breast.
 I choke. I cough. I spit up all the things I thought were best.

 The foam washes my feet as I embrace the martyred son
 He adopts the heroine whose lips and teeth have birthed a tomb
 Coal absorbs the oily curses doused in fallen fates.
 I'm fragile driftwood, hollowed out enough for him to save.

 We are pillars against the portrait of kaleidoscopic skies;
 Flesh and bones rise tall and sprawl for heaven from the ties.
 I'm drowning in the glory and the depth of all your wake;
 I forfeit and I'm begging you tonight my soul to take.

"'Cause if I said that I could swim I'd be a liar."









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment