web analytics

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The depression is so thick I cannot see the end of it.

I stare off and my mind makes shapes 
Out of 
Tricks of light
On my bedroom wall.

And this to me is everything.

It is the fallacy of the world 
And how 
Relationships are like trading
Transparencies atop a flickering projector.

They hold promise until a bulb burns out, 
Or until everyone in the room admits they
Aren't really learning anything.

Am I getting what I paid for?

I went to a show last night
And fumbled my feet around
To try to make it better. 
I thought seeing droves of people I hate
Would shovel the memory of the wake
Of my grandfather out of my chest
Like a coffee scoop. 

I imagine my compartmentalized hurt as little granules. 
I hated every one of them and heard every word they've forgotten 
They've said 
At some point, 
Somewhere,
Back there...
That's punctured me.

Call it spiritual abuse,
Or the spinal column in my back
That never fused together. 

And anger pinged in my tiny brain like a school bell. 
I walked home with anvils around my ankles. 

It doesn't take Jesus telling me I'm divisive 
To make me want to cut my tongue out.
Heres, my throat too. 
Take my voice box, God. 
And all my fingers. 
I cannot steward this portion. 

I am still somewhere back in middle school
Starving to death for
Affirmation from adults big enough
To make me feel small. 

And I feel small
Enough to sneak out the back door
While my old friends are singing songs about how good you are. 

So, I do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment