web analytics

Friday, December 20, 2013

Spoons

 
     


     He calls out my core constitution; 
     Challenges me to observe myself past my reflection. 
     It is as if he is familiar with my awaiting discovery; wants to observe me as I go sifting. When I am elated at what I find, he is overjoyed [though never surprised].
     He knew my potential all along.
      
     I have never credited my father with knowing me. However, lately--his knowing quiets my lack thereof. So much of my young adulthood has been spent searching for the miracle that will concrete the void. 
       
        I have this vision of myself.

        I am incredibly small: Thumbelina, even. I am digging out the chest cavity of a corpse with those shiny silver spoons Anne Sexton always references. *To be completely honest, I have no idea why Sexton is infatuated with spoons. Perhaps it is because they are the perfect metaphor: The way our faces distort in them [like funhouse mirrors], the way--despite the enamoring light ricocheting off their glistening, silvery surfaces--they are [in reality] quiet dull and hopeless. Or perhaps it is because [despite their pointlessness] they are delicate and lovely like so many obsoletes.*

     All of this to say,
     I--
     Equipped with a looped array of clanking spoons--
     Am ordained to breathe life
     Into the heart
     Wilting behind the rib cages of
     [                ].

     

        I could theorize.

        Perhaps that person is me:
        All of me.
        Who I was ten years ago,
        Who I was last month--
        Last Monday;

        Who I am today.

        All those whom I've hated,
        Perhaps it is those too.

        I fantasize a great deal about color erupting from its esophagus, springing forth in powder form--making paisley, cloud formations.
        The life is always sky bound.
        And there is God.


        My father opened a treasure chest with my beliefs bound. They did not ask permission.

        Neither will I
        Ever again.

        I speak for myself.