web analytics

Saturday, April 5, 2014

I am washing dishes and my stomach hurts.
Out the window I watch the barges on the Cumberland River go by. 
I have a better idea of where they're going
Than where
I'm going.

I wash the almond butter off my spoon.
Who knew a girl could be entirely composed of
Apples?

Coffee grounds cake beneath my finger-nails
As the water slips from
Warm,
To tepid,
To cool.

Plaster from last week's
Flower catastrophe
Lips itself around the
Gaping holes
Of the basin's bottom.

I scrub away at it.
I feel listless when it doesn't budge. 

I incline my ear to get through it,
Hoping I'll hear something 
More than
The drone of m o u r n i n g. 

The wood under my feet 
Feels like
Every 
L o n g day
Without you here. 

I turn off the water and return to 
My empty bed
To sleep off the sad.

      Last night I slept for 15 hours.

      But it just keeps coming back.