web analytics

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

 I lost my best friend today.
 Or was it yesterday?

 It happened [as Elizabeth Wurtzel
 Would say]:
 "Gradually...then suddenly..."

I knew the impact would be uncomfortable.
But his embrace felt better than a safety net.

It wasn't exactly----and was completely----
U n e x p e c t e d.

We sat in a still October car 
And I promised him:

                  "I will love you far more than you will ever love me.
                   But you won't know it.
                   And this will end...because we are not evergreen.
                   All seasons must end. You won't be here next October.
                   And we, like a rugged Autumn--
                   Are so tragically and beautifully doomed.

                   We are breathing in bought time.
                   Let's enjoy it, while we can."

He didn't fully understand.

                                 Now we both do.