web analytics

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Eternally Secure in More than Enough



     I have been listening to this song on repeat lately. I heard it for the first time on Easter Sunday which is incredibly fitting. I could start an entire blog dedicated to the medicinal quality of worship music. I understand worship is for service; I am not about to get into an iron-jawed worship debate with anyone. All I am saying is: 

When it 
     Comes 
        Down 
Between 
Brain pills 
And 
This song...
This poetry
Resonates with me,
And pierces the
Darkness
 All
    The
Day
    Long. 
   
 My savior conquered death: 
 All the death coursing through my veins, 
 All the death surrounding me, 
 All the death I will face 
 For the rest of my life.

 It is finished. 

   My savior resides inside of me. I forget that. I am not feeble flesh. I am chosen with every breath. I am adopted. I am ordained. I am more than my imperfect words and foolishness. 
  A friend once challenged me in prayer. She said to go back to my darkest memory and look around the room. Where was Christ? 

In every memory of pain as a child:
He was usually sitting next to me-- 
Indian style--
[Cross-legged] on the floor. 

In every situation where I have been abandoned:
He was always standing between
The Hurt
And
Myself--
Like a shield. 

In all the moments when
I was
The Hurt
[In all my self destruction]
I see Him
Wrapping me up gently like a small child. 

  I am often impatient with The Lord. I accuse Him of never showing up on time, never speaking loud enough, and never giving direct answers. I admit...I often forget Christ died for me. It is as if I am saying: 

"I know you died for me, but..."

  Outside of defeating death, what more can we ask for? He has already satisfied our needs. I have lost the right to walk in chains. 
 Christ conquered the grave.
 I am eternally secure in more than enough.