web analytics

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Lark


Love Poems Part III


"SPLIT the lark and you ’ll find the music,
  Bulb after bulb, in silver rolled,
Scantily dealt to the summer morning,
  Saved for your ear when lutes be old.
  
Loose the flood, you shall find it patent,        5
  Gush after gush, reserved for you;
Scarlet experiment! sceptic Thomas,
  Now, do you doubt that your bird was true?"


              -Emily Dickinson


The skull of my lark 
Is split wide open.

She gushes 
Fragrant,
Crimson,
Liquid.

My fluid 
Magnant 
Boils--

Muses up at me 
With the reverberation of her
Beak
Whimpering into her 
Eyelashes.

I brood;
Pace over her, 
Unsure
Of the criminal
And the
Crucifix. 

She sticks in between the rubber 
Ceilings of my shoes--
Mended between myself and concrete.

I cannot 
Escape
Her. 

I pace her like a puzzle:
Maze into 
Who I was,
And who I am:

The Coward who
Could not

Sever her delicate
Jugular sooner--

Her
Blue,
And 
Vibrating
Throat.

[Who could not 
Watch it as it died:
Sprouting forth
Flowers--

Gold to its call.]

Had I 

Inclined her ear
To the sound of 
Thin knife,

Piercing into her 
Words--
Creating 
Wounds of them;

Carving cavities
Out of the
Wholeness
Of her 
Jubilee,


I could have loved you
Transparently.